QR codes have been criticized as dull and clunky. QR code generators churn out black and white QR codes that sometimes stand out like a sore thumb, especially in very colorful marketing materials, or graphics laden ones.
The beauty of a QR code is that it is not only flexible when it comes to the information you place behind it — videos, URLs, text, phone number, vCards, etc. — but the whole code itself maybe differentiated.
Here are some suggestions on how to make your QR codes more beautiful.
1. Add color. Make your QR codes come alive with color. Just as long as you have a great contrast, you can make the black part of the code red, blue or green (any dark color) and the background into yellow, pink and just about any light color. Do not reverse your black and whites, or you would get into trouble with a lot of QR code readers!
4. Obstruct some parts of the code with graphics. The good thing with QR codes is that you can add the graphics INSIDE the code as well. You can add your logo, your mascot or just about anything into it.
Just make sure that you don’t exceed the 30% error correction that’s built into QR codes. That means that you can obscure up to a third of the code and it will still be scannable.
As always, you should TEST, TEST, and TEST your QR codes. Especially when you add elements to it like a graphic or a logo, or another color. Scan your final code using different readers on different mobile phones.
More articles in this topic
If for anything, Bitcoin is an interesting piece of currency. The virtual currency is now increasingly being used in real life. Some employees now accept Bitcoins as salary. Online shops and even brick and mortar retailers also see Bitcoins as legal tender that you can pay with. There are groups of ardent Bitcoin supporters as […]Read more
In Ottawa, Canada, passengers are now seeing QR codes on their tickets. The QR codes are printed on every transfer so that passengers can just scan the QR codes themselves when they board the bus rather than show it to the driver. This would certainly help in making boarding faster and gives the driver less […]Read more
Mobile apps make your smartphone work harder. If you cannot find a feature or functionality on your smartphone, you can search for an app that does what you want and that’s about it. No matter how good your operating system is, you will never be on top of the smartphone game without a good set […]Read more
- QR Codes Show up on Medical Bracelets Anew
- Marks and Spencer Dabbles With QR Code Marketing
- Mobile Marketing with QR Codes
- Australian Farm Helps Visitors at Fruit Picking with QR Codes
- Puerto Rican Body Spray Brand’s QR Code Goes Viral
- Mobile On The Move – Android For Travelers
- Make Your Website Visitors Stay - and Buy (Part II)
- Ready-to-use QR Code PHP
- Digital Signage Goes Hand In Hand With QR Codes Marketing
- Snapmaze Has A New QR Code Reader
Google Android news and discussion.
Deliver latest top technology stories and breaking IT news
Near Field Communication (NFC) news, ideas, projects and technologies.
QR Code, Datamatrix and other two dimensional barcode news and analysis.
Tips, advices, how-to's and DIYs for the latest technologies.